Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Recovery Room




We got called back to go see Anderson in recovery. This was much much different and harder then I expected. Anderson was sitting in a nurses lap and very out of it. He was crying a little bit. I started talking to him right away. “Anderson it's mommy and daddy. We are here. We love you” The look he gave me was not the normal sparkle look when he hears my voice. It was much more blank and pained. So much pain and confusion. I quickly sat down and the nurse handed over my baby. He was so uncomfortable and not himself at all. He was even crying in a strange way. I had to hold a tube of oxygen near his mouth to try to help him get back to normal. There was a machine regulating his oxygen that kept beeping in the background sometimes slower and sometimes faster. I don’t think he was ever in danger but it is still unnerving to hear. Anderson asked for water. We gave him a sippy cup and he drank it in huge gulps. I was afraid that he would puke if he drank it so fast so I kept telling Andy to slow him down. But then Anderson kept asking for more water over and over again. Then very next thing he said was “I want to run.  I had to explain to him that no he could not run right now he had to sit with mom so he could feel better soon.  We discovered that Anderson still had his cathidor in from his surgery. So the nurses had to figure out if he was supposed to have it out or supposed to leave it in until we got to his room. Thankfully they took it out there.  After that we put him on the car bed and gave him a second cup of water and wheeled him to his overnight room. 



Leaving the recovery area and heading to our overnight room

Upstairs on the "car bed"

Drinking and drinking water!


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see the actual surgery went well. I always find it interesting to compare "surgery stories." My little guy was sent home only an hour and a half after surgery. Boy, was I scared that night! He was so groggy and took off running down the hall in our house - I thought for sure he'd fall right onto his cast! We had to put him in his walker for the rest of the evening with his cast propped up on pillows. I can't imagine having to do this with a 2-year-old! I sure am thinking about you all during these first few days! I'm sure you have found a rhythm to the way you do things now. Please keep updating; your little man is precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, Thanks for all the thoughts and care you have sent our way. I hope that your little guy is adjusting well and healing fast as well!

      Delete